Cholesterol is a normal part of your system. It is used by your body to perform a number of important functions such as the production of membranes for the cells or the activation of hormones. But it becomes a liability to your body when it goes out of control.
Here are five easy cholesterol lowering diets that you can follow to keep the balance of the different types of fats inside your body:
- Munch on the classic nuts like almond, pistachio and walnut. Be careful not to overindulge though, as they also translate to calories. These nuts will help to improve the elasticity of your blood vessels. This in turn will improve the circulation of the blood in your body. More efficient blood circulation will mean less work for the pumping organ, your heart.
- Oat meals became popular for a reason. They are rich in soluble fiber that helps in clearing out the bad cholesterol from your body. Preparations for this may be mixed with your favourite fruit. Simply prepare it to suit your taste.
- Instead of sticking to the usual cooking oils used in the kitchen, opt for those rich in monounsaturated fats. This kind of fat is a good source of the good cholesterol that will help in balancing the cholesterol count in your body. Fats that are considered monounsaturated can be found on oils from canola, avocado and olive.
- Add fiber to every meal. The addition of fiber-rich foods to any meal is among the most popular on the list of cholesterol lowering diets. Fruits and vegetables should be added to every meal to ensure good digestive circulation.
- Choose fish over any other animal meat. Those rich in omega-3 should be of particular interest. Doctors believe a steady diet of at least two servings of fish a week can make a big difference for your cholesterol count.
- Keep in mind that different people have different genetic make-up. This means, a diet that is perfect for one individual may not always prove successful to another.
- The key is to visit a nutritionist or even the family doctor first before planning a major change to your family’s nutritional needs. In this way, your family would be able to plan a diet that has less cholesterol without compromising on the other important nutrients.
- Lastly, if you badly need to watch your cholesterol level you should see an expert so that more effective cholesterol lowering diets can be planned out.